Thursday, January 13, 2011

Folk Fest Best Bets — Mine & the City Paper's

Originally posted on my Posterous blog August 19, 2010







The acts I wouldn't miss at this year's Philadelphia Folk Festival (August 20 to 22) http://www.folkfest.org/PFF.php:

Chris Smither & the Motivators: I've never heard Smithers' band, but Smithers offers smooth blues with & great voice & thoughtful lyrics.  Should be a great show
 Erin McKeown: What can I say.  I'm a fan.
Gandalf Murphy & The Slambovian Circus of Dreams: Weird dude who plays a mix of folk & rock, but a lot of fun
 Richard Thompson: Great British songwriter
Susan Werner with Trina Hamlin and Natalia Zukerman: Again, I am a big Susan Werner fan.  Terrific songwriter
Taj Mahal: The coolest blues man. Seemed to play the folk fest every year for a while.
Vienna Teng: I have mixed feelings about Vienna Teng. She has a couple of really, really great songs — City Hall & Harbor are my favorites — but too much of her bores me.  (Sorry.) Maybe I will change my mind after seeing her live for the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment